Saturday, June 12, 2010

Pin It

Widgets

Fabulous Artist Feature-Peanuts Creations

Happy Saturday! I don't know what your weekend is looking like, but here in Eastern Washington State, the sun is shining and the birds are chirping. A great start to the weekend! Another great start is this wonderful and inspiring artist I'm featuring today! Her name is Karen, and she is the owner of "Peanuts Creations." Not only is Karen very talented at what she does, but she's a real sweetheart, and I feel very fortunate to have met her! Enjoy her feature and feel free to leave a comment. :)


What is your craft and how long have you been making it?
Mainly I crochet. I was taught by my grandmother when I was a very small girl. I am 48 now so that would be about 40+ years. She taught me to knit and tat as well. I also help my hubby in the wood shop, making pens, bottle stoppers and such on our lathe. And since winning the Cricut in a contest on My Craft Corner, I have been spending time playing with paper as well!

What inspired you to start selling your handmade items and are you enjoying it?
People would see me crocheting and started asking me to make them things. Before long, it took on a life of its own and now I sell online, at craft shows, festivals and fairs. And even though I don’t earn anywhere near the income I had before, I absolutely love it….it beats a desk job by miles!!


What is your best selling item?
My crochet hats are by far my best selling items! I make them for all ages and use a large variety of yarns.

What are your favorite materials to work with?
Cotton blend yarn is my fav…it is easy to work with, comes in pretty colors and makes a beautiful finished product. In the winter, I love to use suede yarn!! (And paper for my Cricut is fast becoming an obsession as well!!)

What is your favorite venue for promoting yourself and your craft?
I would have to say my favorite venue is My Craft Corner


Where does your inspiration to create come from?
Lots of things inspire me from colors, the beach, people I meet and even smells! And seeing someone wearing or using something I made, is a huge source of inspiration! When I look at a cute little girl wearing one of my hats, it just makes my day!

What do you do to keep busy when experiencing slow sales?
There are so many things to do all of the time, so when it is slow, you have to use that time to organize, catch up on paperwork, make gift bags/boxes, taking better pictures, rewriting listings and trying to promote myself and others more.

What would you say to artists who are new to selling and/or who are struggling with selling?
If you truly enjoy doing your craft or art, STICK WITH IT. It takes a lot of time and effort to sell, especially online. Put a picture in your mind of yourself being successful and you will find a way to make it happen. And learn all you can from other artists and crafters.


What are some of your goals for your business?
I would like to really boost my online sales, keep improving my pictures and help other artists and crafters in promoting handmade.

Have I missed anything or is there something else you would like to share?
I am a proud doggy mommy to Reggie, our 10 yr old Jack Russell Terrier, who makes me smile every single day! 

Find Karen & her wonderful handmade items at these sites:


For info & custom orders, contact Karen at: peanutscreations@epix.net
Thanks so much for sharing your awesome talent & wisdom Karen, along with your understanding too! :)

2 comments :

Unknown said...

Another wonderful feature and wonderful artist! I adore Karen's work ... I've tried crochet and ... well .. I'm totally envious of her skill.

It was so nice to get to know her a little better!

Have a great weekend!

LissC said...

this pink and white hat is so super sweet!

*BLOG ARCHIVE*