Friday, May 6, 2011

Pin It

Widgets

"What's Old is New Again" Artbeads Design

I completed this gorgeous necklace a few days ago...but didn't get the photos finished till late last night, so I'm a bit late with my post...but..better late than never. :D

This necklace is one of two designs I created from Artbeads "What's Old is New Again" challenge. Last week I blogged about my package of goodies from Artbeads.com. It explains about the components involved in making my designs. if you like, you can read about it here.
The focal was my inspiration. I purchased it from a thrift shop, and get this, it used to be a pin! I brought it home, cleaned it up and had my hubby cut the pin off the back and smooth it down. I love how the porcelain cabochon peeks out at you through the slightly folded gold filigree. I wanted to add a lil something to the focal, so I attached an antique gold bell flower charm to it. It accents the flowers theme on the cabochon and mirrors the shape of the filigree.
Here's a closer look. You can see how the porcelain cabochon is set into the intricate detailed filigree.
And here's the entire necklace. I wanted to really present the focal, so I connected it to gold-plated pewter link, which is actually called a "3-Strand Multi-Strand Endpiece." It's shape and loops make it perfect for adding multiple strands to a design...or you can use it the way I did. The curves and overall decor of it was exactly what I was looking for. I love the way it just seems to flow with the entire necklace. In staying with the colors of the blue flowers, I strung together different sizes of Swarovski Crystal Beads in faceted rounds of capri blue, which is a stunning vibrant color that blends beautifully with gold, and gorgeous crystal golden shadow. To add some "pop" between the crystals, I used bright gold nugget heishi spacers. I love the shape of the spacers! They are the perfect size too -7mm. The string is satin cord in light-blue, and I love it! It's so soft, yet very strong. I used crimp ends & end cap rings for all the connecting. I was surprised at how easy they are to work with! Those are on my "to get" list for sure! ;) After searching through all the many clasps Artbeads has, I chose a beautiful leaf-shaped toggle. It's so smooth and pretty, plus the brightness of it blends perfect with the gold nugget spacers.

All in all, I'm super happy with the way my necklace turned out! I work with mainly brass, copper, and silver, but after this design challenge, you're going to start seeing many gold pieces in my shop. ;)
Check back next week for my 2nd and last design for "What's Old is New Again." It will involve a stunning focal handed down to me from my Aunt Jessie.
Many thanks to Artbeads for this fun challenge! :)


I participate with Artbeads.com blogging community, as an `Design Partner`, therefore, I receive products free of charge in return for honest reviews. I have not been paid for my endorsement, as it pertains to the products received. Thank you.

4 comments :

Orion Designs said...

Brenda -- this necklace is amazing! I love how all the components work so well together. I bet you'll be scouring the thrift shops for more goodies now!

Regina said...

It is beautiful! Love all the different elements you have used, including the blue satin cord. What a wonderful way to make the thrift shop pin into something new again.

Brenda. said...

Vicki, you know me too well! What's even better is the thrift shop is just blocks away from me. he..he.. ;D
Thank you so much for the sweet comment! :)

Brenda. said...

Thank you so much Regina! I really enjoyed making it. :)

*BLOG ARCHIVE*