Saturday, November 1, 2008

Pin It

Widgets

Hot Profiles!

Join me as I introduce Kristy Smith of *Shiny Adornments.* She is an amazing artisan, and her jewelry is beautiful, just like her!

What do you make, and what drives your passion for your craft? ShinyAdornments is artisan handmade beaded and wire wrapped jewelry, handcrafted in my Wichita, KS studio. I use sterling silver, gemstones, SRA lampwork, glass, and polymer clay beads. My jewelry shop includes bracelets, bangles, earrings, necklaces and cocktail rings for both work and play. I find inspiration in the wildflowers I drove past this morning on the way to work or the suit I just bought that needs the perfect accessory or the strange dream I had last night. I make jewelry I would wear myself. The materials depend on my mood and inspiration. My goal is to create wearable items for work and play that offer an interesting statement about the women who wear them.

What made you want to take your craft to the next level and sell on Etsy? I started making jewelry because I couldn’t find pieces to coordinate with my work attire. I discovered that I really enjoy the creative outlet. I’ve come to crave coiling wire, which I’ve discovered creates an almost meditative state. I also love being able to hammer components into submission. lol Creating little wearable expressions of color has become a stress reducing therapy for me. I was wearing the things I created to work and received lots of positive feedback, and sales! from my coworkers. It seemed a sensible step to create someplace to showcase them online, as many of the individuals I know aren’t in the same state.

What is your best seller right now? Locally, my charm and coin bracelets sell the best.

Please share your best marketing venue. I like blogging. Especially blogging about my team members. I'm a geek at heart, so all the online, technical stuff is the most promo fun for me.

Besides Etsy, where else can you be found? My website , My blog , and lots and lots of flickr pictures!

What are your goals regarding your business for the next few years? I would like to tweak my process enough that I am spending less time promoting and more time actually creating. I’m spending far less time on non-value adding activities now than I did at the beginning, so that’s a start. I’d also like to branch out into some local boutiques. I’d like to spend a lot more time with the torch. I’m fascinated by the whole fusing and soldering craft. I mean, there are just so many possibilities.

Tell one random thing about you that doesn’t involve your craft/business. I think Craig Ferguson, hands down, is the best late night talk show host on television.

Share a few of your favorite Etsy shops. I love the clock works of art from yeetufield.etsy.com. Normally, seed beads aren’t my favorite, but this artist belongs to the Starving Artists forum, and her series of bracelets just knocks my socks off. Here are some examples of her work. Yes, they are made from seed beads. Amazing!http://beadsbeadingbeaded.com/FSalvadorDaliErinMontage.jpg http://beadsbeadingbeaded.com/PhotoRibbonBracelets.jpg http://beadsbeadingbeaded.com/Beatlesfringed.jpg

Thank you Kristy!
Keep tuning in for more hot profiles all month long!

No comments :

*BLOG ARCHIVE*